The Chiropractic Adjustment, according to recent research
- Can increase blood levels of antioxidant enzymes superoxide dismutase [SOD] and glutathione peroxidase. These are key enzymes involved with reducing the body’s free radical burden. Cellular damage caused by free radicals is associated with aging and disease [J Manipulative Physiol Ther, 2015 Feb: 38 (2): 119-29]
- Can lower stress levels pain, and increase quality of life. Study suggests that the adjustment affects brain glucose metabolism related to sympathetic relaxation and pain reduction [Altern Ther Health Med. 2011 Nov-Dec; 17 (6): 12-7]
- Causes physiological relaxation via a decrease in sympathetic nerve activity. Biomarker measured was decrease in salivary amylase, an indicator of autonomic nervous system activity [Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2017; 2017: 4345703]
- Can increase telomere length, a well-recognized marker of biological aging. This is theorized to have the effect of slowing down a person’s biological clock, providing youthfulness and health longevity. Shortened telomere lengths are associated with metabolic and inflammatory diseases, pulmonary diseases, cardiovascular events and diseases, psychological and stress disorders, neurodegenerative diseases, cancer, and mortality [J Mol Genet Med 2017, 11:2]
- A Jan 2018 evidence-based review of complementary and alternative medicine in the management of hypertension found chiropractic to be among the therapies to show significant reduction of high blood pressure. [Pak J Pharm Sci. 2018 Jan;31(1):237-244.]
Current studies show numerous health benefits of chiropractic adjustment.